Saturday, March 13, 2010

Seed Germination Update


Exacum affine
Trachelium caeruleum



I feel as if this is my year for trying to germinate and grow flowers from extremely small seeds. I ordered Exacum affine from Chiltern Seeds and planted them up on January 27th. The seeds were small. The seeds germinated within two weeks and I now have small seedlings 6 weeks later. I've attached a picture. I also tried Trachelium caeruleum. Chiltern actually has a warning on the seed packet that says, "Caution. The seed in this packet is minute . . . " They weren't kidding. You open the packet and to the naked eye, the packet is empty. The seeds did germinate (since I couldn't see the seed, I emptied the packet into a small amount of vermiculite I had in the palm of my hand and then sowed the vermiculite). Again, it was about two weeks for the seeds to germinate. I started the Trachelium on January 31 and you can see from the picture that the seedlings are still very small and barely visible to the naked eye 5 weeks later.

No comments:

Post a Comment