Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Up Close -- Spring is Starting

Front yard under Magnolia tree -- Not much to look at





It strikes me that after a few years at this (gardening), I still don't have a good sense of scale. I like bulbs -- especially, the small, early bloomers such as Galanthus (snowdrops), and Crocus tommasinianus, and Crocus chrysanthus 'Cream Beauty.' But, looking at the area where I planted them, it doesn't appear like much from 30 feet away. Up close, the plants are awesome. I'm thinking that at a minimum you must need at least 500 of these to have any impact whatsoever. Over time, I've probably only planted about 100 and while I've read that these small bulbs will naturalize over time, I haven't really seen much of that.

Crocus tommasinianus

Crocus chrysanthus 'Cream Beauty'

Crocus tommasinianusCrocus tommasinianusGalanthus

No comments:

Post a Comment