Saturday, March 27, 2010

Snowdrop Petal Markings








I was reading an article in Gardens Illustrated about snowsdrops. Gardeners in the UK seem a lot more interested in (or, maybe the appropriate term is "crazed about") snowdrops than gardeners in the US. The article talked about how to identify the various species and cultivars of snowsdrops. One of the key identifiers is the petal markings. I took a close-up of the markings on the petal of one of my snowdrops and tried to match it to one of the identified species and cultivars in the article. I don't have a record as to what type of snowdrops I purchased. Unfortunately, the markings on mine did not match any of the pictures in the magazine. I would have to think, though, that given the limited variety available in the US, that this must be the common snowdrop, Galanthus nivalis.

No comments:

Post a Comment